Monday 19 October 2009

One of my favourite books

The Morville Hours by Katherine Swift is one of my all time favourite books. I first heard it recommended on Gardeners' Question Time last Christmas and it sounded so fantastic from the reviews that I treated myself to it. I am so glad I did! It is written like a Medieval Book of Hours with each chapter corresponding to an hour of the day. It is a 'how I made this garden' book but it is far more than that. The author describes her garden through the year and how she created it but also includes social and family history, geology, geography, astronomy, astrology, architecture, country folklore and history to name but a few. Her writing is beautiful and her descriptions are wonderfully evocative. I have read the book twice so far and it is a joy to re-read. It is one of the most beautiful and unusual books I have ever come across and I cannot praise it too highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment