Monday 12 July 2010

What I'm reading now...

This is the book I'm reading at the moment, having discovered it on Jane Brocket's blog, http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/. The title intrigued me and I read some reviews on the internet which made me decide I needed to get the book. So far, it hasn't let me down. It is a family memoir based on a collection of netsuke which the author, a world renowned ceramicist, has inherited. The collection proved the starting point for his research into his wealthy family, from Victorian times onward. The book follows the owners of the collection, beginning with an art collector who was friends with the Impressionists and who bought several Impressionist paintings, amongst many other beautiful objects. It is an absolutely fascinating book, although I have one tiny disappointment due to the lack of photos in the book (there are some, but not enough in my view!). There are some family photos on the little removable wrapper (see photo above) but these do not so far appear to be in the book in any quantity. I am one of those people who like to see illustrations of things described, even if they are described beautifully. This one comment aside, it is proving to be as intriguing as the title, and it has made me look at netsuke for sale on Ebay, and purchase one, albeit a modern one, not a beautifully carved antique. Isn't it interesting where books can take you?

No comments:

Post a Comment