Saturday 26 February 2011

More baking (and my feelings on raisins, currants and sultanas)

As it was a bit of a dull, grey, drizzly February day, I decided to cheer myself up with a bit of baking. What should it be? A sort of cakey, biscuity type of thing? Of course, rock cakes! Actually, I don't like raisins, currants or sultanas, due to the texture which I find quite unpleasant and I'm not thrilled by the taste either although I love grapes! Weird, isn't it? So, I make my own version of rock cakes using dried apricots (which I do like).
Anyone who has ventured out with me to a house or garden where scones are served will know that I will assiduously pick out all the dried fruit (and make a huge mess with crumbs) much to my companions' embarrassment. I would just like to add here that I wish these places would offer both plain and fruit scones and then this would not be an issue at all!
So, back to the rock cakes. They have done the job of cheering me up and have provided a welcome treat at tea time. The only problem is that I do like home made cakes and biscuits rather too much, so will probably have to make something else this week. Hmm...what about some flapjack?

No comments:

Post a Comment