Saturday 26 May 2012

Chelsea Flower Show 2012 - my favourites

 I have never yet managed to visit Chelsea - I say every year, "One day I will go, just once, just to say I have been", but I do enjoy the TV coverage (11 hours this year, apparently).  Which gardens did I like in particular?  The best in show, of course, (above), designed by Cleve West.  I like formal elements and then 'floofy' planting (which all these gardens have).
 Joe Swift's garden for Homebase featured lovely cedar wood arches and coppery/red planting.
 The artisan garden by a Japanese man (sorry, can't remember his name) was different, but I liked the moss which was rounded and looked so squishy and tactile.
 Arne Maynard's garden had elements from his own garden in Wales.  Again, the formality of the pleached copper beech appealed to me, softened by the planting beneath.
I was jealous of the lovely hazel supports he used for his shrub roses.

 Andy Sturgeon used a theme of circles in the wall and in the copper sculpture.

  The John Clare garden by Adam Frost again featured formal elements with exuberant planting.

The most evocative garden was 'Welcome to Yorkshire' which featured landscape elements, and a  stone mullioned window so typical of old Yorkshire houses. Wild flowers, stone walls and moorland  - you could almost believe the Bronte sisters would appear and walk across the bridge.
So, which gardens did you like?
All the photos are from the RHS Chelsea website.

No comments:

Post a Comment