Wednesday 5 December 2012

New reading

Chris and I decided to treat ourselves to some new reading material recently (not that we need any really, but we just can't help ourselves). When we have done our shopping, we usually end up at the magazine aisle and this leads to much reading and normally, much purchasing too.  In the past, we have gone for various gardening magazines (although I now subscribe to the three I want, but I may need to amend that next year, I'm not sure yet), and a plethora of home style/aspirational living magazines, including Country Living, Period Homes, Homes and Antiques, and many others that I can't remember.  Needless to say, it had all got a bit out of hand.  So, after a bit of research and leafing through and trawling on the internet, we have finally settled on one which I think will meet all our needs.  Pretty Nostalgic seems to have lots of quirky British things and we both love the way it looks and the layout of the pages.  It is bi-monthly so hopefully we will cut down on the accumulated magazine mountain that is threatening to escape from the corner into the sitting room.
The books in the photo are the Pretty Nostalgic book (we looked through it and kept saying "We've got one of those"  and again it is beautifully put together. It was also half price at WH Smith - how could I resist?) 
Homespun Style is from the same kind of background - using what you have and making the most of what you've already got. 
Yes, it is still aspirational living, and as we are inveterate hoarders, I don't think our house will be as beautiful as some featured in the magazines or books, but we have definitely got a quirky and eclectic mix of things and books like these might help us to see them in new light.
This post isn't for advertising purposes, and I am sure that lots of you would look at these and decide they weren't for you, but that is the joy of all the books and magazines out there - there is something for everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I am loving Pretty Nostalgic and have taken out a subscription for next year. I treated myself to the book in Smiths when we were Christmas shopping - its a lovely read - perfect to dip in and out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vicki
      Thank you. I really like the magazine too and being bi-monthly, it means I will have had time to read it properly before the next issue comes out!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your new reading material looks most inviting. Perfect for curling up with on a cold winter's night! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear E
      Thank you. It is indeed very inviting - even the paper they have used is lovely to hold. I think they will be perfect for next week - when we have been told to expect freezing cold, up to 4 inches of snow and winds from Siberia! Lovely!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of Pretty Nostalgic so thank you for the little review. I have to keep my magazine habit under control as it can all get a bit out of hand. I hope you've found time to curl up with your magazines and a cup of tea. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you. Our magazine habit was totally out of control and I'm not sure that it won't go that way again, but we both enjoy reading, so eventually things will get looked at. I have had a good read of issue 3 but have still got the others to go - lovely!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Now I'd seen the Pretty Nostalgic book but hadn't realised that there was a magazine, I must check it out :D

    Happy reading x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annie
      Thank you. Yes, indeed there is a magazine and if you like the book, I think you will like the magazine too. It is £8.00 an issue (bi-monthly) but if you do like it, it is worth subscribing on the website as you can save some money. The website gives a little taster of the magazines too, so is a good place to start. (Honestly, I'm not getting paid for this!)
      I just hope that it stays with the same great mix of quirky and interesting articles.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete