Sunday 20 January 2013

The more it snows, tiddly pom... and more treats

Well, like pretty much everyone else in the UK, we have been snowed upon!  As I write, we are anxiously awaiting the next lot, due to hit us at around 7.00 pm - that will make getting to work on a Monday morning just that little bit harder than usual! I ventured out into the garden yesterday morning, and liked seeing the little hats of snow on the ivy.
 The verbena bonariensis, self-seeded in a pot (so not sure whether it will be back this year), looking a bit like a candelabra.
 A close up of one of the verbena flower heads.
 Even the pots had little hats.  For some reason, this image reminded me of a Beatrix Potter illustration, but having gone through my books and a book on her art, I can't find it.  Perhaps it's one of those things that has created itself in my head.

 So, to my treat (there are more - I seem to have been rather indulgent, buying lots of treats for myself at the moment).  I can't remember where I saw the picture, but I saw a picture on a blog that I follow and was hooked.  I went via a link to a blog and from there, to an etsy shop where the most beautiful, colourful prints were for sale.  Yes, you guessed it, I treated myself to one. It is called 'Backyard with Stars' and is by Australian artist, Loretta Grayson.  It came beautifully and safely packaged, in a sturdy card envelope, then wrapped in a map, with tags, a postcard and an origami bird.  Her blog is called A Shoebox of Photographs and there are links to her shop and to a really interesting tutorial on how she creates her stunning images as well as who provides her inspiration.  So would you like to see the image?

It comes unframed, but I just love it! (it wasn't lying flat when I took the photo as the background paper I had laid it on decided to curl,very unhelpfully, so the print looks a little curled, but is flat in real life).  The stars have been hand painted in on the print, in silver and gold.  I love her use of colours and the background looks just like felt (but is, in fact, oil pastel).  The next plan is to get it framed - that will be one of my next treats!

8 comments:

  1. Its beautiful, Ellie.
    Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy
      Thank you - it is even better in real life! It is such a joyous image and makes me smile.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. That picture really is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing details of the artist. The colours are so rich and vivid, just stunning.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you. I saw the picture and just knew I had to get it! Given lots of money, I would buy more, or even commission a painting, rather than buying a print. Something else for the 'when I win the Lottery' wishlist! I found reading some of the artist's blog posts where she talks about her inspiration really fascinating too. A bit of gorgeous rich colour is just what we all need with all the white stuff about!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Beautiful picture. The colours are so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cookie
      Thank you - I love the way the artist has used the colours. I don't think I would have put the colours next to each other that she does, but it works beautifully.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I can see why you loved it.It is beautiful and I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anne
    Thank you - yes, I am thrilled with it. She is a talented artist, isn't she?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete