Monday 29 April 2013

Spring flowers

 Here are some more flowers blooming away at the moment.  Above is Erythronium Pagoda (Dog's Tooth Violet) which is looking lovely, with the lampshade-like flowers held on delicate stems.
Looking up into the Erythronium flowers which also captured the beautiful blue sky we had at the weekend.
 Magnolia Liliflora 'Susan' has also got lots of flowers open and lots more to come.
 My first tulips are nearly there.
 I think the mixture of colours is going to be really cheerful.
 Slightly less cheerful, in fact, a little sombre are the flowers of the Snake's Head Fritillary.  I planted a few bulbs in small pots last autumn and here's the result.  The chequerboard pattern is really amazing.
 It does look as though they have been purposely coloured in.
 The inside of the flower is also beautifully patterned  - with clearly defined runways for any passing bees.  I am really enjoying my daily walk around the garden (being small, it doesn't take long) as at the moment,  there seems to be something new to look at each day.

10 comments:

  1. Delicious images! I can't say which might be my favourite, they are equally lovely. The Fritillaries always amaze me with their patterning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Toffeeapple
      Thank you - there are lots of photogenic flowers in the garden at the moment. I am really excited about the tulips, with their promise of happy colours. (I do like the fritillaries though, even though they are less showy.)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. It is lovely to see colour in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cookie
      Thank you - a bit of colour is what we were all waiting for after such a long and cold winter. It is lovely to see the garden coming back to life.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Hi Ellie, thanks for visiting my blog. The weather has been So wet here lately I haven't been out in the garden much and the chickens are molting and not laying eggs...I haven't posted for a while but you can visit my garden at www.theirlittlegarden.blogspot.com
    See you again soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aussie Felter
      Thank you - we could do with a bit of rain here but we are enjoying the Spring weather at last. I shall go and visit your garden blog as I really enjoy seeing what other gardeners are doing in their plots.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I love the way the garden looks so different just from one week to the next. My tulips are just on the cusp of blooming but my pinky-purple magnolia still has not flowered. Those Fritillaries are stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you - I think my garden is changing from day to day at the moment! It is so nice to have a bit of sunshine, even if that cold wind is still there. I bet your magnolia will look beautiful when it does flower. Mine has a fresh, slight lemony scent too, which is great when the flowers are at nose level (which they are as it is in a big pot). I love it! The fritillaries are lovely too, but are just very slightly sinister, I think, but in a good way!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Aren't the colours of flowers so perfectly balanced ... gorgeous images Ellie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annie
      Thank you - I was really pleased with these photos. I do like this time of year with all the lovely colours.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete