Tuesday 4 February 2014

Spring Green

 I know that it isn't Spring and I still think that we'll get Winter with snow and ice - it's not over yet - but I was cooking Leek risotto and was struck by the lovely vibrant green and white of the leeks.  (Unfortunately, once incorporated into the risotto, they go a rather sludgier green which isn't so attractive.)  Anyway, this got me thinking about green and I had a wander in the garden to see whether there was anything to report.
 I'm not sure what this is - it is in a pot where I planted lots of Anemone Blanda, but whether it is one of those, or whether it is a rogue plant from somewhere else, remains to be seen. So far, it is the only pot in the twenty or so which I planted showing any signs of doing anything.  It is in a rather shady part of the garden, so the flash kicked in, hence the rather bright highlights!
 My crocuses are starting to grow.
 Now this photo represents an amazing thing.  It may not look much, but these are hyacinths which we bought last year at The Garden House, Saxby.  Once they had finished flowering, I wasn't sure what to do with them as in the past, I haven't successfully grown hyacinths in the border.  This time, not wanting to get rid of them, I thought I'd plant them, which I did, with no thought of ever seeing them again.  However, here they are and  I am really delighted!
Here they are from February 2013, having just been purchased.   I'll keep you posted on their progress.
Finally, I couldn't post about Spring and Green without mentioning my favourite flower from Winter/Spring - the humble snowdrop.  These were given to me by Mum, from her garden and they are quite large ones.  I love to see them every year as they look so delicate but are, in fact, incredibly tough plants, bursting through the soil despite whatever the weather can throw at them. You have just got to admire their tenacity.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know why but green is not my favourite colour but your pictures show that green is in fact lovely.
    Funny how I'm not keen on green when nature figures high on my list of loves, but then I know I'm strange. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Briony. Green is a perfect foil for every other colour - especially in nature, but on its own, it can be a little less interesting. I like the jade greens or teal greens, but wouldn't wear the yellowy greens at all! We all have our little idiosyncrasies...
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love snowdrops, in pots or in the garden ... I think they have to be among my favourite flowers. But hyacinths I prefer indoors so I can enjoy the scent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. I agree about the snowdrops - I have several pots with them in as well as the clumps in the garden. I love to see them. The scent of hyacinths is lovely but can be a bit overpowering sometimes, I have found. (I suppose it depends on the size of room they are in). I am hoping that these ones will scent the air around them - will let you know!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. The promise of spring - I so love snowdrops, and crocuses, yes please, we can't grow them here, and of course hyacinths and their wonderful scent. Please keep us posted on their progress . . . .
    Have a great week Ellie, hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I keep having a little look at how they are all coming along and rather hope we won't get a really cold snap (although with the weird weather we've all been having, I don't think we can rule anything out!)
      I will indeed keep you posted. Have a lovely week yourself.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete