Tuesday 4 November 2014

Lavender Shortbread

 I have had some lovely blog swaps this year and you may remember I received a lavender shortbread mix in my 'From My Home to Yours' swap from Emma in Jersey. Chris not so subtly reminded me that I hadn't made the shortbread, so I thought I should get on with it.
However, I was a little nervous as I remembered Norman's lavender meringue (photo from telegraph.co.uk) from this year's Great British Bake Off and I hoped that the lavender flavouring wouldn't be quite so strident as that.  Mary Berry said she hadn't tried lavender meringue before and didn't want to again!  In the dry mix, the lavender wasn't really that evident, but once the butter was added, it showed itself!
 The biscuits were absolutely delicious, with a delicate but definite taste of lavender.
We took some to work and our colleagues agreed how lovely they were.  Many thanks to Emma for sending me the mix as I'm not sure I would have tried it otherwise and I would have been missing a treat!

6 comments:

  1. It is nice to try something that you might not have bothered with isn't it. Glad that you enjoyed them so much and how kind of you to share them too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. They were absolutely delicious and didn't last very long at all. I like sharing my baking and often take some in to work, as does Chris as it cheers us all us - everything is better with cake and /or biscuits!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I didn't fancy lavender in my food when it was mentioned on the Bake Off but those biscuits do look yummy. I wonder where you get that mix from?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Briony
      Mine came from Jersey, in a blog swap, but here is the link: http://www.jerseylavender.co.uk/25/517/product/Lavender-Shortbread-Mix-400g/ (you'll need to copy and paste it into your search engine.) Postage seems to be £4.50, but there may be a lavender company closer. I can recommend this particular mix however!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I bet Mary would love those too... ;-)
    They look delicious! Lots of love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. I hope Mary would approve as they were delicious and the lavender taste was there, but not too strong...just perfect!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete