Sunday 7 December 2014

Winter has arrived

It can't be denied any longer, yesterday morning, Winter had definitely arrived with the first real frost of the season. I took a few photos of the frost on the plants - above is one of the blueberries.
It looked like a dusting of icing sugar on the flowers of Hydrangea arborescens Annabelle.
 They looked really quite beautiful.
 Frost on the rose leaves...
... and highlighting the edges of the Penstemon leaves
Although it means that autumn is over, Winter does has its own beauty.

6 comments:

  1. I adore the pared back elegance of winter. Crisp, clean and beautiful.
    It is our Summer I have difficulty with, when the grass goes gold, brown and disappears into dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. There is a lot to be said for winter - silhouettes of trees against a pale blue sky, frost patterns, the bare bones of gardens. I couldn't cope in the heat of your summers - if it gets above 23 degrees centigrade, I go all lethargic!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I love those beautiful winter pictures...
    Thanks so much for your sweet comment, it means a lot to me.
    Lots of love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. You are so welcome for the comment - I'm thinking about you all.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! You are so right, the hydrangeas do look as though they are dusted with sugar don't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love winter, especially those bright frosty days. Winter gardens come alive in frost and sun don't they.

    ReplyDelete