Wednesday 29 April 2015

'Toby's Japanese mouse' - update

 You may remember I posted about my love for 'Toby's Japanese mouse' from the book 'The Children of Green Knowe' by Lucy Boston and how I saw a resin version for sale in the Hemingford Grey shop. I told my friend Rachael about them and she very kindly made me a polymer clay version, which is lovely. You can read my post about it here (you'll need to scroll down the post a little).
Rachael's polymer version
 Well, of course, having seen the mouse was back for sale, I treated myself to one and was very excited when it arrived, accompanied by a hand written note from Diana Boston who is in charge of the house now. I had expressed a wish to see the gardens and she suggested visiting in May or June, so that is on the agenda for us now.
Back to my mouse.  He really is as pictured in the illustration from the book, which is not all that surprising, as the mould was was taken from the original.
 Even with the shiny black eye.
 Underneath, you can see his tail and the soles of his feet with his toes peeping over the top of his tail.
So now my first mouse has a friend and I am delighted with them both.  Somehow, I feel as though I have a tangible link to this magical story which captivated me when I was a child and has stayed with me.  I still read the book every December.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have the Green Knowe mouse and the lovely mouse your friend made! That is twice as mice!! Sorry, couldn't resist that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Twice as mice indeed!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. They are both lovely, to be treasured for ever I'm sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Yes, they will both be treasured.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. The detail underneath is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toffeeapple. Yes, it is beautifully done. If we do visit Hemingford Grey, I hope to see the original. The house is also well known for its gardens, so that is an added incentive to visit!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete