Tuesday 14 February 2017

Knights in progress

Back in 2015, Lincoln hosted some visitors - brightly painted Baron sculptures - to commemorate the Magna Carta.  You can see my posts about them here and here.  The figures were very popular and a boost to tourism for the city. This year, to commemorate the Charter of the Forest and the Battle of Lincoln Fair, there will be another trail, but this time, it's the Knights Trail, which you can find out all about here.  The design for the figures was based on a chess piece and a competition was held to design a Knight.  Our friend Rachael (a really talented artist - she got a First in illustration) created a design and as soon as I saw it, I had a feeling it would be picked...I was right! She is now in the process of bringing her design to life.
She made a start on the horse's nose, covering it with hearts.
 Then she really got going.
 He's going to look amazing!
 I love the cakes...but then, I would!
 He is so bright and colourful.
She is doing a fantastic job, isn't she?  Her particular knight is getting a lot of attention, and children seem to be especially drawn to it.  I also have an idea where I think he will be situated - wouldn't that be spooky if I'm right?  I can see him being extremely popular for photographs too.  
Here are a couple of other artists' designs in progress.  These are being painted in the shopping centre, so I shall be going along again at the weekend to see how they are all coming along.
I shall look forward to seeing them all around the city in the summer.

4 comments:

  1. I love them too! It's great watching the progress. The Barons gave such a lovely feeling to the city, I'm sure the Knights will also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jille. Yes, I think they are going to be really popular with everyone and will encourage lots of people to get out and about to see them all.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Wow, what amazing work! Your friends piece is really great isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Yes it is - we're really proud of her! She is very talented (even though she sometimes doesn't believe it when we tell her) and we're really looking forward to seeing the finished piece in all its glory.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete