Thursday 25 May 2017

My favourite Chelsea Gardens 2017

I always watch the BBC coverage of the Chelsea Flower Show, but have never actually visited the show.  I think that when I see the crowds, it does put me off.  The TV coverage always gives a much more detailed view of the gardens too, although it doesn't give the whole atmosphere that being there would.  The RHS Chelsea Flower Show website is a great resource and  that is where all these photos have come from.  Thank you to them!
So, onward to a round up of my favourite gardens - a completely biased view, naturally. Above is the 500 years of Covent Garden by Lee Bestall, which got a silver medal.  I like the planting and the zingy blue/green of the metalwork reproduced in the planters.
 The Morgan Stanley Garden by Chris Beardshaw was given a silver gilt medal (I think it should have been a gold).  Again the planting is beautiful and the exuberance represents Mozart's music, whereas the shady area in the right of the picture represents Bach (I think).
 The Linklaters Garden for Maggies by Darren Hawkes also has some lovely vibrant planting (there is a theme here...) and won a gold.
 The Zoe Ball Listening Garden by James Alexander Sinclair offers a contrast to all the vibrant colours, with peace and shade.  The three water features all have different ripple patterns which give different sounds and apparently, if you put your foot on the gravel at the front of the garden, you can feel vibrations.
My favourite garden is the Anneka Rice Colour Cutting Garden by Sarah Raven.  Just look at those colours!  
 I would love to have a garden like this myself.
 It is filled with annuals and I particularly like the formal paths with the floofy (my word for exuberant and effervescent) planting.
More stunning planting with cooler colours in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Centenary Garden by David Domoney which got a silver medal.  I really like the railings, made to represent the 154 countries in which the War Graves Commission operate.  If you have ever visited one of their cemeteries, you'll know how beautifully they are arranged, planted and cared for.
 The Poetry Lovers' Garden was given a silver medal and was designed by Fiona Cadwallader.  Lovely dry stone walls encase the garden, with a shady seating area and rippling water feature - just the place to sit and read.
Finally, I had to include the World Horse Welfare Garden by Adam Woolcott and Jonathan Smith . The horse sculpture made from donated horseshoes, including one from one of the Queen's horses, is amazing.  The left side of the garden shows an uninviting area for horses, with a falling apart stable and some poisonous to horses plants, such as ragwort and on the right, the horse is free, in a field. 
From my choices, I think I am a romantic gardener, in the cottage garden style and that is the way I garden at home.  Hard edges, angles and minimalist planting is just not appealing to me.  
The gardens at Chelsea always show a great attention to detail and demonstrate a  wonderful celebration of gardening.

4 comments:

  1. I do understand about crowds (not a fan) but would love to see (and smell) these gardens for myself.
    And minimalism has its place - but NOT in a garden. Or I don't think so. Though I do like some Japanese gardens, despite knowing I could never/would never create one of my own.
    Thank you for taking us to these stunning displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I always enjoy seeing the contrasting gardens in the tv coverage, even if the minimalist ones don't appeal. There are some lovely planting combinations to be seen. In my garden, often nature produce far better combinations of plants than I could ever do!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. So many beautiful gardens and the sun shining on them all too. We've enjoyed the tv coverage, but I would love to actually go there, like you I don't like the crowds xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I always enjoy the tv coverage. I have said to myself that I should go once, just to say I've been...one day...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete